Sólar ehf’s policy on prevention of bullying, harassment and distress in the workplace
Statement and definitions
Sólar ehf declares that all employees are entitled to be treated with respect and care. Bullying, harassment, and distress in the workplace is not tolerated.
Sólar ehf defines bullying as follows: “Inappropriate and unprofessional repetitive behavior that is difficult to defend and is intended to degrade, offend, hurt, discriminate, threaten, and/or cause discomfort to those this behavior targets.”
Sólar ehf defines harassment as follows: “Oral comments intended to hurt, direct or indirect threats, bodily injury of any kind and other inappropriate and indecent behavior. Sexual harassment falls under this.”
This policy shall be accessible by all staff, introduced to new employees, and reviewed when necessary.
This policy is prepared in accordance with Regulation no. 1000/2004 on measures against bullying in the workplace.
- That Sólar ehf is a good workplace where everyone feels good
- To promote prevention and education for staff
- That employees are aware of bullying, harassment, and distress and contribute to preventing such in the workplace of the company
- That employees know the channels of communication and can respond properly
- That employees are aware of the procedures for bullying and harassment
Rights and obligations
Sólar ehf operates an advisory team that is managed by a chief executive officer and handles education for employees and addresses issues related to bullying, harassment and distress.
An employee who has suffered from or is aware of bullying, harassment, or distress at the workplace shall inform their supervisor, safety representative or human resources manager about it.
The advisory team is required to respond as soon as possible in the event of bullying, harassment, or other inappropriate behavior toward employees in the workplace.
All issues received by the advisory team are investigated.
The advisory team ensures that confidentiality is preserved in the handling of cases and data in order to protect the interests of all concerned.
Employees shall have the values of Sólar ehf – positivity, professionalism, and communication – as a guiding principle in their daily work and show moral responsibility in communicating with colleagues.
All staff shall be involved in creating a positive work environment that promotes well-being at work and is free from bullying, harassment and distress.
Sólar ehf’s plan for responding to bullying, harassment, and distress in the workplace
Channels of communications
Employees who report bullying can contact their immediate supervisor or another manager in the workplace. It is also possible for them to contact any of the following:
- A union representative at the relevant workplace
- A security officer at the relevant workplace
- A security guard at the relevant workplace
The procedures for bullying and harassment involves analysis, problem solving, and follow-up.
The aim is to get a more accurate picture of all sides of the issue. The supervisor may, as appropriate and in consultation with the parties, participate in the procedures. It is suggested that two representatives of the advisory team interview the parties. The interviewee may bring a union representative or another party.
The advisory team has processed a case when a notification has been received by email. If a case involves a member of the advisory team then he or she shall leave the team during the proceedings and the security officer will take their place.
- Interview with the victim.
- Interview with the perpetrators and making them aware of the situation.
- More information gathering, if applicable. This may include interviews with witnesses, colleagues, and/or supervisors.
- A written statement on the facts.
The aim is to find appropriate solutions that all parties can accept.
- Interview with the parties involved – either together or separately, depending on the nature of the case.
- Discussion with the manager of the workplace and/or the closest supervisor to the parties involved.
- A plan about the next steps is submitted in consultation with the parties and their superiors.
- Sign a settlement agreement.
- In some cases, external parties need to be consulted when processing cases, for example if there is a need for support interviews or other resources.
The aim is to improve the well-being of the parties and to prevent the bullying or harassing behavior from recurring.
- After one month: Representatives of the advisory team will hold a meeting for each party to review the situation. If bullying, harassment or distress is still taking place, the advisory team will meet with the parties to review the next steps.
- After three months: Representatives of the advisory team will review the situation again and if everything is normal the procedure will be considered complete. If bullying or harassing behavior is still present, the advisory team shall take the matter up again and discuss it.
Email, SMS, and social networking sites on the Internet
The employees of Sólar ehf shall show respect in their communication on the phone, in e-mails and on social networking sites on the Internet. Inappropriate or offensive comments in the above communication can be classified as bullying or harassment, and if it is reported to the advisory team, the matter is dealt with accordingly.
Continuation of bullying or harassing behavior after the procedure ends
An employee who is found guilty of bullying or harassing in any way and continues to engage in a similar behavior although the procedure is considered complete (either in the case of the same victim or a new one), can expect to receive a written reprimand. If the employee in question shows continued bullying or harassing behavior despite having received a reprimand, he or she can expect to be terminated in accordance with the rights and obligations according to the trade union of the employee.
Received cases are registered in Sólar ehf’s document archive and access to it is blocked for everyone except members of the advisory team. All data is stored for twelve months from the end of the case. After that time, all data is destroyed except for statements and the settlement agreement.
This plan takes effect from April 1, 2014.